Thursday, November 4, 2010

"Cooking from scratch" experiment

I cooked chili from scratch last night. My roommate, who is also my cousin and will henceforth be referred to as "J-Cuz" cause I'm a dork like that, he did not believe me. In fact, he looked a little nervous when I pointed to the pot simmering on the oven.

Things to know about me- I rarely cook. If I liked a woman enough to cook for her she usually earned macaroni and cheese with toast. When I was 15 my mom taught me to cook my great-grandmothers meatloaf. Let me tell ya, I have yet to have a woman take me up on an offer to let me cook her meatloaf. That is the least sexy meal ever.

Me- Hey, how bout we stay in and I can cook tonight
Attractive woman- That sounds nice, what were you thinking of making
Me- My great grandmothers secret meatloaf
Attractive woman- I think it's time we see other people. Or not, I just think it's time we see less of each other. Or maybe none of each other.
Me- Damn you unsexy meatloaf!

That's how that plays out in my head.

That being said, the chili wasn't that bad. FYI there was nothing healthy about it, it had pepperoni in it for crying out loud! But J-Cuz and I wolfed it down.

I was also surprised out how many cooking-from-scratch supplies I lacked in my kitchen. Seriously, I had to buy basic things such as chili powder, sugar and beef bouillon. Come to think of it, I don't have any flour, cooking oil or the likes either. Lets be honest though, you never purchase that stuff at the grocery store unless you need it for a specific item you're cooking/baking. Who rolls into the grocery store and cleans out the spice racks and baking supply aisle because "They're running low on that stuff"?

"Uh-oh it's 2 a.m. and I'm down to two cans of cream of mushroom soup, are there any 24 hour grocery stores I can use to fill that void? I don't think I can sleep until this task is accomplished."

J-Cuz and I are still alive after my foray into "from-scratch" cooking. I think that's a win Iceman.

No comments:

Post a Comment