Thursday, June 9, 2011

Early Childhood UN-development, Self-Esteem Building for Teens and Rodeo Clowns.

So over a decade ago I promised the second part of my rodeo escapades. Here it goes:

When one attends the Houston Live Stock show, they are quickly reminded that in Texas there's a fine line between child abuse and mass entertainment. This is clearly demonstrated in the Mutton Bustin event. I'm serious when I state that my jaw did indeed drop when I first witnessed this.

Mutton Bustin is the last event every night at the rodeo before the BIG COUNTRY CONCERT!!! WOOO!! (I'll address that in a few paragraphs. Yes, it does directly correlate with that $18 ticket price.) Any how, the art of Mutton Bustin has a few precursors. First, you must have a parent willing to endanger their child's life for 30 seconds of fame. Second, you must purchase a child-size flack jacket (Did not even know they made those in children's sizes) With these two steps done, your little cowboy, or cowgirl, is ready to be thrown on the back of a sheep who will run a terrifying several hundred feet and thus solidify your child's unconscious hatred for you. Once the child is trampled, bucked off or the sheep just stops running two grown-up cowboys will hoist him or her off the beast and a interview for the jumbotron will take place. The child, if not fully catatonic, will state through tears and sniffles that he or she had a blast. Several thousand people will cheer and I die a little bit inside.

I have two other favorite events at the the actual rodeo, the "Yes Young High Schoolers, We Are All Making Fun Of You" event and the "Sorry That Bull Castrated You. If We All Cheer Extra Loud You Get A Free Airplane Ticket!" event.

The  "Yes Young High Schoolers, We Are All Making Fun Of You" event is simple. 20 or so rambunctious teenagers (FFA or 4H or some farm club I guess) are lined up in the center of the arena. A giant white rectangle is drawn in the center. Suddenly, 15 calves are released and all hell breaks loose. The object for these adolescents is to catch a calf and drag it to the rectangle. If they accomplish that, they get to keep said cow (And to think, all I got when I read a book during the summer was a personal pan pizza). Have you seen a 115 pound child try to drag a 300 pound cow? Physics simply states that this is not possible. The more testosterone prone boys will try to put their cow in a head lock, the sad part is that just leaves them in the dirt with a cow in a head lock. No progress is made. Not like a referee comes and pounds the ground 10 times and you win. The smarter ones chase after the calves near the adults. With that move a really pathetic looking girl is bound to attract the sympathy of a nearby cowboy who will haul the creature in for her (Chivalry is alive in a strange way in Texas). The rest just hope they head lock their calf close enough the rectangle so that when time runs out they are given the "Close Enough" nod. Once again a drunk crowd is roaring with ridicule. Self esteem boosting at its finest I'm sure.

"Sorry That Bull Castrated You. If We All Cheer Extra Loud You Get A Free Airplane Ticket!" event is like a western version of America's Funniest Home Videos. They show a highlight real of cowboys getting thrown by bulls. Most of them involve the bull reminding the cowboy that he is a large angry animal and that cowboy is a wee creature in this status quo. Horns reach places they shouldn't, hooves land on vertebrae and the standard to be a "Texas Man" is set to a suicidal high. It's ok though. If I cheer loud enough for the gentleman who will now be eating his meals through a tube, he receives a plane ticket to anywhere in the lower 48. Do they serve peanuts in liquid form?

Finally, I address the craziest people at the rodeo. It's not me, for subjecting myself to this debacle. It's not the guy next to me who has a flask in each pocket and is risking a nose-dive from the nose-bleed section with every drunken pee break. It's not even the cowboys who jump on the back of an angry 2 ton animal with large horns. It's the Rodeo Clowns. I imagine the job requirements for that particular position reads like this: Must be clinically insane. These fellows have one job, when the cowboy is catapulted off the bull, get the creatures attention while the cowboy runs to safety. So, when the guy who pissed the bull off in the first place is running away like a petrified child a rodeo clown waves his arms, smacks the bull and runs in circles to keep the creature occupied.

Here is how I would perform in that occupation:
Bull: Ha, I knocked the cheeky bastard off. My turn to ride him. Where did he go?
Me: (From the stadium parking lot)Where did I park my car again?

Oh, and as for that headliner concert that follows the rodeo? 10 songs from that particular artists greatest hits album in a stadium definitely not designed for smooth acoustics.

I think the double flask guy has the right idea.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Mr. Tracy. This definitely provided entertainment for the first 6 minutes of my work day this morning. Which role do you think Drake would fill? My immediate instinct tells me the "double flask guy"..but then again, I'm not so sure...somewhere, there's a small voice that says he very well COULD be a pretty effective Rodeo Clown...once he went to the dark side, however, is a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that is why I love Rodeo Clowns-- they not only aim to put smile on childrens faces, but also keep them safe. :)

    ReplyDelete